27 Jan The Social Media Revolution
I find it amazing how quick the social media world is changing, and constantly advancing. Social media is revolutionising the way we share news, ideas and opinions.
Here are just a few amazing statistics sourced from Socialnomics that show just how important social media is becoming:
- Over 50% of the world’s population are under 30 years old and an amazing 96% of them have joined a social network.
- In the US Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic.
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the number 1 activity on the Web
- It took Radio 38 years to reach 50 million users, it took TV 13 years. The internet took 4 years and the ipod took 3 years.
- Facebook added 200 million users in less than a year.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 3rd largest ahead of the United States and only behind China and India
- 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction
- 80% of companies use social media for recruitment; % of these using LinkedIn 95%
- 50% of the mobile Internet traffic in the UK is for Facebook, people update anywhere at any time.
- The second largest search engine in the world is YouTube
- Wikipedia has over 15 million articles. Studies show it’s more accurate than Encyclopaedia Britannica
- If you were paid a $1 for every time an article was posted on Wikipedia you would earn $1,712.32 per hour
- There are over 200,000,000 Blogs
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations, Only 14% trust advertisements
These statistics are only going to increase in the next year, making it hard to comprehend what social media is going to be like in the near future. I can only describe the future of social networking as exciting and unpredictable, and I can’t wait to be a part of it!