Last week the Bigfoot team questioned the technique of creating fake accounts to bump up your twitter follower count. So if talking to yourself isn’t the way forward, what’s the best way to gain a genuine following on twitter?
- Embrace the power of the RT: re-tweet other users, and encourage them to re-tweet you too.
- And if you’re hoping to land re-tweets, make sure you’re coming up with valuable content. It can take a bit of practice to get your message across in 160 characters or less. Try to avoid spamming your followers with tweets about that bag of Percy pigs you just devoured, even it was delicious.
- Use pictures to get your message across whenever possible – we’ve all heard the cliché, a picture is worth 1000 words.
- Link up your accounts. This will effortlessly push your tweets from Twitter to your Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. Add follow buttons to your e-mail signature and your website too.
- Make sure you fill out the bio section, it makes you easier to identify when people search for your profile. Don’t leave people guessing your identity based on a teeny tiny picture and your latest tweets.
- Learn to use hashtags effectively, as they make your content easily searchable. Pay attention to trending topics and learn to use them to reach more users.
- Use it regularly. Research has shown that most people use twitter in the middle of the day, between 10am and 4pm. If you can’t dedicate as much time as you would like to update your feed, try using an app like Gremln, which allows you to schedule your tweets.
- If you’re curious about your stats, you can use apps like TwitterCounter to track your stats, TwitterHolic to track top tweeters, and Qwitter to see who has unfollowed you.
- We all know it’s about quality over quantity. Find out who your MVF‘s (most valuable followers) are, and then work on building good relationships with them. They have the most power to increase your twitter reach.
- And finally, be patient, don’t expect results over night. It’s better to build twitter relationships that last than to briefly have 1000 followers who never read your tweets and unfollow you after a week.
What are some of your top tips for reaching more people through twitter?