How Do I Create A Google Account?
6 Steps to get your Google business account up and running!
Many things make your business visible to prospects online. One of those “things” is an active Google My Business profile. If you want local customers to find you, explore your website and make a purchase, this is an essential step.
To generate leads and enquiries in today’s digital world, companies need to optimise for search engines – in particular, Google. Most small business owners are ahead of the game and invest good time and money into search engine optimisation. The challenge lies in maintaining online success and the key to getting this right is business map listings. Google My Business is one of the most common tools used to optimise for local search results and increase your brand awareness.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business connects Google search, maps, analytics, Google+ and reviews in one convenient application. This allows you to manage all these aspects without having to open multiple tabs in your browser.
What’s more, local customers will find out everything they need to know about your business in one location. Your company address, contact details, opening times, reviews, website and much, much more. Basically, everything you require to build trust with potential customers can be found in Google My Business.
In this handy guide, we step you through the process of setting up your Google My Business profile and what to do once you’re finished.
For those of you with a Google email account, hooray! This means that while you’re logged in, you’ll get access helpful business tools and platforms. From Google My Business to Google Analytics, you’ll have some of the industry’s best tools at your fingertips.
However, if you do not already have a Google email account don’t worry, you can still access all of Google’s features by registering under your current email address. This process is covered in the steps listed below:
How To Set Up Your Google My Business Account
1. Get ‘On’ Google
Firstly, you will need to go to https://www.google.com/business/ and click on the blue ‘Sign In’ button at the top of the page (if you are already logged in then you will need to log out of your account before starting this process.)
Here, you can search for your business name and address. Can’t find your business, don’t panic. You can enter your business details as a new user.
2. Create/ Register Your Google My Business
Secondly, you need to click the ‘Create Account’ link which is located below the ‘Sign In’ box for a new Google account sign up form. Claim that you are ‘authorised to manage this business’ and then continue.
3. Enter Your Email Address
At this stage, it is possible to use your email address, even if it is not a Google email account. Select the ‘I prefer to use my current email address’ link below the ‘Choose Your Username’ box. Now you can enter your email address.
4. Verify Your Account
- Create and confirm a password.
- Enter your date of birth – it may seem obvious, but it is important to enter your date of birth here, rather than entering the date of birth of your company. This stops you from incurring any restrictions Google places on 18-21-year-olds (unless your business is over 21 years old of course).
- Select your gender.
- Add a mobile phone number – this is particularly useful for account recovery services.
- Add your geographic location.
5. Optimise Your Business Profile
The more information you feature in your Google My Business profile, the more effective your profile will be. You should already have your basic Google My Business details set up, but don’t neglect the finer details.
- Reviews: Google reviews are a great way to show that your business can be trusted. Request that your customers leave positive, five-star reviews. That way, when people find your business, they will read your reviews.
- Photos: Make sure that your Google business profile includes pictures of your logo and products. You can always showcase your best selling products. For example, a bakery can include images of beautiful bakes, cookies and cakes.
- Posts: This is a relatively new feature that allows you to share content linking to your blog or product pages. Like social media, this gives you the opportunity to build a relationship with readers. However, these posts will last only a week before they need updating.
- Categories: You can set a category improving the relevancy of your business in a particular sector. For example, you can enter ‘Bar’ or ‘Restaurant.’
6. Keep Monitoring Your Account
Now that your Google business account is up and running you can sit back and enjoy all the positives it brings. By increasing your online presence and combining all of your online marketing efforts will mean you’ll find yourself gathering a multitude of new leads and improving traffic to your website.
Insights allow you to track your progress on a monthly basis if you have a Google business account through Google my business. This gives you access to detailed evaluations of how your clients are searching for you, how they come across you and how they navigate your profile. This allows you to see what your Google business account does well, and also highlights areas in which you could improve.
There is also the option to change your opening times during the holiday season, which can be very helpful if you are closed over Christmas. Neglect to update your Google business profile, if you wish. However, don’t be surprised if frustrated customers leave a negative review and fail to return to your website following a poor experience. If other potential customers see that negative review, the chances are they will be put off making a purchase. It’s crazy how one false move can have a ripple effect on your business. Be proactive, don’t neglect your Google business page.
How can you improve your online visibility? Simply, enter your details to find out:
Claim your free website audit, right now:
In need of some guidance? Contact us today – we would love to help.
Still confused about what a Google business account can do for your business, or need any help creating an account?
At Bigfoot Digital, we are passionate about working hard to increase a brand’s online visibility. If you need help getting noticed, we’d love to hear from you. Give us a call today on 01226 720 755.